Monday, September 7, 2009

Be Civilized - "Did You Grow Up Living in a Barn?"


I’m sure we’ve all heard this saying a time or two. Even though I have always lived in or near suburbia, my dad had to frequently ask my sisters and me just that when we were growing up. It presents a sharp opportunity to ponder the wasteful things we commonly do without much thought. I can still hear his words echoing in my head when I notice something he would commonly refer to, then I quickly fix whatever may be morphing my civilized city living into aloof barnyard stable. No matter where you grew up, these are some of the things I suggest doing to ensure your upbringing doesn’t resemble anything barn-like:
Turn off the lights when you leave the room
Shut the windows and close the doors promptly when you are using the AC (do however, use the windows and let the fresh air in when it is pleasant weather and give the HVAC a break)
Don’t stare at the contents of the fridge with the door open letting the cold air rush out (you’re probably just bored and not hungry anyway)
Unplug every appliance you can when it’s not in use (even if it’s off, it is still sucking wattage)
Draw the curtains and turn off the air (or set the timer) when you leave the house for the day in the warm months
Let the sunlight in and turn off the heater (or set the timer) when you leave the house in the cool months.
Don’t continue to peak in the oven when it is heating (you’ll most likely mess up whatever it is that you’re baking by doing this, too)
Don’t let the water run before you get in the shower or while you are brushing your teeth.
Use only what you need, use everything you can


comments

0 Responses to "Be Civilized - "Did You Grow Up Living in a Barn?""

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates