Monday, September 7, 2009

Be Real - Exposing My Skin, continued 2


So you are probably wondering how the experiment ended up. In all honesty, My skin has never looked better. Although it may not ever be perfect or what I consider to be the most ideal, I have accepted that for my skin to be its best it just needs some special attention. I acknowledge there are several cases that need a professional opinion, but this trial has piqued my interest in trying out other similar product lines on the market, and I think I’m close to finding a regimen that works best for me. More importantly, I am always working on shifting more of the focus from dwelling on these less than perfect things about myself so that I am able to recognize the things that are really great (and it doesn't hurt to have a good friend around to remind you of all the things you have going for you, either, Thanks, Jen!).
I hope that by exposing this insecurity of mine, it will make it easier for someone else to face their own self consciousness about their skin or otherwise. I never imagined I would have allowed myself to be so candid about this, but a recent conversation with a couple of women at work gave me the courage to come out from under my cover-up.
I walked up on one of my friends explaining her most recent trials with the dermatologist and her frustrations with the process. She had previously mentioned to me her problems with hyper-pigmentation so I knew right away what the conversation was about. I began to offer one of my own related skin tribulations (even to do that would have even been a big step for me), but before I could, the other woman immediately opened up about her desperation with eczema. Someone else walked by and chimed in about how they are frequently inhibited by their Psoriasis. I would have never noticed these imperfections on others that always remain perfectly covered by clothing or make-up. We all could have kept them in hiding rather than exposing ourselves to the risk of scrutiny, but I'm so glad none of us did. Sharing these areas of personal vulnerability and outwardly admitting to these imperfections made me more comfortable and confident than I've ever been when skin is the topic of discussion.  I felt more beautiful through being honest and real and when I opened myself up to the judgement of others, I realized I have always been my only critic. We are all living with something we wish was a little more perfect. Stop holding yourself to someone else's standards. Confidence reveals true beauty and beauty is truly skin deep. 


comments

0 Responses to "Be Real - Exposing My Skin, continued 2"

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Lifestyle theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates